July 26, 2013

School House Quilt

This full sized School House Quilt belonged to my mother-in-law.  Even though she was a quilter, we believe this was made by her stepmother but it is not marked.  It is all hand pieced, and hand quilted.  We thought it would be perfect for our Kentucky cottage because the original part of this building was the Rineyville one-room school house built in 1874.  I think it is really a beautiful quilt. 


The red fabric had bled onto the white fabric.  Since the quilt needed an overall cleaning, I washed it in mild detergent and added three of the Shout Color Catcher sheets, and let it soak for a couple hours.  I'm so pleased with how it came out, and all of the red stains came out.

3 comments:

Mary Helen-Art Saves Lives said...

You are truly blessed...I will have to try those color catchers! Peace, Mary Helen Fernandez Stewart

Anonymous said...

Love the quilt and it is displayed perfectly.

I use the color catchers when I first wash fabric but never thought to use them on something that has bled. I have a couple of pieces to try this on.
Lillian

Lizzie said...

That a great tip about the stain catcher. It is good to know that the product works.