August 26, 2008

Glendale, KY on Tin - Wall Hanging

I acquired a few pieces of ceiling tin from an old building that was burned down in Rineyville. It was a controlled burn by the fire department to take down an old store in town. The fire gave the pieces of ceiling tin a nice patina. I used tin shears to cut it apart into sections. I decided to use at least some of them for wall hangings. The first wall hanging I made in this series features a picture of the old town of Glendale, KY. It is such a cute little town with lots of shops and restaurants. The old buildings still look like yesteryear and it is such a fun place to take guests. I will also feature spots in Rineyville and as well as Elizabethtown and Hardin County.



This first piece is made with antique blue and white ticking as the background. Embellishments include part of an antique quilt piece, lace and an old button. The edges are sewn with a blanket stitch using embroidery floss. I punched extra holes in the tin (it already had some nail holes from where it was nailed to the ceiling) and I sewed the wall hanging to the bottom of the tin. I also sewed tiny mother of pearl shank buttons into each hole. For now I have it hanging with a scrap of lace, but may change it out for wire if I find some that I like.

1 comment:

Cindy Jones Lantier said...

That piece of tin is to die for! It has such a rich, old look to it. What a find! And your blanket stitch is to even and perfect. Great composition on the wall-hanging. Wonderful idea!